Morocco went on daylight saving time starting in 2008. The tz database currently supposes that this DST does not extend to Western Sahara, but there is no clear evidence either way.
|Short name||WESTERN SAHARA|
|Time zone||+0 ~|
In 1900, Spanish West Africa was a Spanish possession. It comprised four districts on the west coast of Africa: Ifni, Río de Oro, Saguia el Hamra, and Southern Protectorate of Morocco. Río de Oro was the area from Cape Blanco and about latitude 21°20' north to latitude 26°; Saguia el Hamra reached from there to about latitude 27°40' north (Cape Juby); and the Southern Protectorate of Morocco extended from there to Oued Draa, the border with French Morocco. Ifni was a coastal enclave around the town of Sidi Ifni. Spanish Sahara referred to Río de Oro and Saguia el Hamra. (In fact, the different names were used somewhat indiscriminately. Río de Oro was often applied to the whole colony, excluding Ifni.) In 1976, Spain relinquished Spanish Sahara. Mauritania and Morocco promptly divided it between them. However, Mauritania ceded its portion to Morocco three years later. Morocco has administered the region since then. The former Southern Protectorate is fully integrated into Morocco. As for Spanish Sahara, now known as Western Sahara, other governments have withheld recognition of Morocco's sovereignty pending a referendum.
Also in 1976, the Polisario Front proclaimed a Sarahwi Arab Democratic Republic (SADR). Morocco built a military berm enclosing about 80% of the territory. Since a cease-fire effective on 1991-09-06, Morocco has exercised control of the western side of the berm, while the SADR has governed the rest.
Descriptive: located at the west end of the Sahara Desert (Arabic sahara: desert)
Note: Western Sahara is also listed as part of Morocco.
Western Sahara is divided into four wilayas (provinces).
|Oued el Dahab||21,496||50,880||19,640|
La Agüera was a district in southern Río de Oro during the 1920s. Cape Juby was a district in the Southern Protectorate of Morocco from 1916 to ~1948. The districts during the colonial period, with their capitals, were Ifni (Sidi Ifni), Río de Oro (Villa Cisneros, renamed Dakhla in 1976), Saguia el Hamra (El Aaiún), and Southern Protectorate of Morocco (Villa Bens, renamed Tarfaya in 1958).
Names are originally written in the Arabic alphabet, so they may be transliterated in various ways.
|Back to main statoids page||Last updated: 2013-10-22|
|Copyright © 2005, 2008, 2009, 2011, 2013 by Gwillim Law.|