|Short name||HEARD AND MCDONALD ISLANDS|
These isolated islands were British possessions until 1947-12-26, when they were transferred to Australian control. They are now an Australian external territory. They are only visited by research expeditions.
Heard Island was named in 1853 for an American, Captain John J. Heard.
Heard and McDonald Islands has no known administrative divisions.
|Heard and McDonald Islands||412||159|
The territory includes Heard Island, Shag Island, and the McDonald Islands (Flat Island and McDonald Island).
The UN LOCODE page for Heard and McDonald Islands lists locations in the country, some of them with their latitudes and longitudes, some with their ISO 3166-2 codes for their subdivisions. This information can be put together to approximate the territorial extent of subdivisions.
|Back to main statoids page||Last updated: 2015-06-30|
|Copyright © 2004, 2005, 2011, 2015 by Gwillim Law.|