Update 10 to Geopolitical Entities and Codes (formerly FIPS 10-4) is dated 2012-12-31. It assigns a code to Brčko, which formerly lacked one.
Newsletter II-2, an update to the ISO 3166-2 standard, is dated 2010-06-30. It assigns a code to Brčko district, which hadn't had one before. The cantons are listed, with the same ISO codes as before, but now their names are given in Bosnian, Croatian, and Serbian.
The second edition of ISO 3166-2 was published on 2007-12-15. It shows the same two entities as the first edition, but represents them as regional groupings. It also shows ten cantons, and represents them as the primary subdivisions of Bosnia and Herzegovina. However, all ten cantons are in the Federation of Bosnia and Herzegovina, so the Serb Republic and Brčko apparently have no ISO code at this level.
Change Notice 8 to FIPS PUB 10-4 is dated 2002-06-28. It assigns FIPS codes to the two main entities of Bosnia and Herzegovina.
International standard ISO 3166-2 was published on 1998-12-15. It superseded ISO/DIS 3166-2 (draft international standard). For Bosnia and Herzegovina, the draft standard showed no divisions. The final standard shows two entities. They apparently represent the partition of the country determined by the Dayton accord. Their names and ISO codes are shown in the first table.
In addition, it appears that on about 2000-03-01, the city of Brčko was established as a third entity of Bosnia and Herzegovina, taking parts of both of the others. Its status is that of a district. It has not yet been given a FIPS or ISO code.
Aleksandar Petrovic has written me regarding the divisions of Bosnia and Herzegovina. The Dayton accord establishes that the country is divided into two "entities": the Federation of Bosnia and Herzegovina, occupying 51% of the total territory, and the Serb Republic, occupying the remaining 49%. Brčko District is an anomaly. The de facto situation is that, on 1999-12-07, Brčko District became a condominium of the Federation and the Serb Republic. In Brčko District, each person can choose whether to be a citizen of the Federation or of the Serb Republic. The official position of the government of the Serb Republic, however, is that Brčko District is partitioned between the two entities, following the border that was in place as of 1996-12-14.
|Short name||BOSNIA AND HERZEGOVINA|
|Time zone||+1 ~|
At the beginning of the 20th century, Bosnia and Herzegovina had been occupied by the Austro-Hungarian Empire, but was still de jure part of the Ottoman Empire. It was formally annexed by Austria-Hungary in 1908. In the aftermath of World War I, it was allocated to the Kingdom of Serbs, Croats, and Slovenes, which soon became Yugoslavia. It remained one of the six constituent republics of Yugoslavia until the federation broke up in 1992. The situation in Bosnia has been unstable since then.
Bosnia from the Bosna River; Old Serbian Herzegovina: duchy, named by governor Stepan Vukčić on taking the title herzeg.
Bosnia and Herzegovina is divided into two "entities" and one district.
|Federacija Bosna i Hercegovina||Federation of Bosnia and Herzegovina|
|Republika Srpska||Serb Republic|
|Distrikt Brčko||Brčko District|
Bosnia and Herzegovina appears still to be using postal codes from the time of a unified Yugoslavia. They are five-digit numbers beginning with '7' or '8'.
See the Communes of Bosnia and Herzegovina page.
The kotari are subdivided into 105 opčine (communes).
The Federation of Bosnia and Herzegovina is divided into ten units with the status of canton (Bosnian: kanton). They have also informally been called županija.
|English name||ISO||Dial||Capital||Alternate names|
|Bosnian Podrinje||038||Gorazde||Bosansko-podrinjski, Goraždansko-podrinjski|
|Central Bosnia||030||Travnik||Centralnobosanski, Srednjobosanski|
|West Bosnia||034||Kupres, Livno, Tomislavgrad||Hercegbosanski, Hercegovačko-bosanski, Kanton No. 10, Livanjski Kanton|
|West Herzegovina||039||Siroki Brijeg||Zapadnohercegovački|
A tiny area of Bosnia, containing the village of Sastavci, is surrounded by Serbia. It is located west of Priboj.
The UN LOCODE page for Bosnia and Herzegovina lists locations in the country, some of them with their latitudes and longitudes, some with their ISO 3166-2 codes for their subdivisions. This information can be put together to approximate the territorial extent of subdivisions.
As part of Yugoslavia, Bosnia was subdivided into twelve kotari (counties), as listed here.
|Back to main statoids page||Last updated: 2015-10-26|
|Copyright © 1999, 2001-2006, 2008-2015 by Gwillim Law.|