Until November, 2000
This is a list of updates to "Administrative Subdivisions of Countries" which were reported on this Web site on or before 2000-11-30.
Only updates affecting the list of statoids in a given country are included. They include the creation of new statoids, their disappearance
by merger, changes of name, changes of capital, etc.
- Armenia: Status of Erevan changed from province to city.
- Azerbaijan: New post-independence division into cities and districts.
- Bhutan: Gasa and Tashi Yangtse districts created.
- Bulgaria: Reorganized from nine regions to twenty-eight.
- Burkina Faso: New data available for the fifteen new provinces.
- Canada: Nunavut territory split from Northwest Territories, as predicted.
- China: Chongqing municipality split from Sichuan province; Hong Kong and Macau annexed to China as special administrative regions.
- Congo, Democratic Republic of: Some provinces changed their names.
- Congo, Republic of: Confirmed the existence of Cuvette-Ouest region.
- Eritrea: Confirmed the reorganization into six provinces.
- Iceland: Reorganized from 23 regions and 23 townships into nine regions.
- Iran: Three new provinces of Golestan, Qazvin, and Qom created.
- Italy: Two provinces extended their names: Forlì to Forlì-Cesena, and Verbania to Verbano-Cusio-Ossola.
- Jordan: Supporting data acquired for the four new provinces.
- Kazakhstan: Five provinces merged with others, and one new independent city created.
- Korea, South: Ulsan city split from Kyongsang-namdo province.
- Laos: There may be a new special zone named Xaisômboun.
- Libya: Apparently reorganized from 25 municipalities into thirteen.
- Moldova: Reorganized from forty districts into ten counties and one autonomous unit.
- Nigeria: Six new states created.
- Palestine: Has had an ISO country code issued.
- Paraguay: The departments of Chaco and Nueva Asunción disappeared through mergers.
- Slovakia: Supporting data acquired for the new division into eight regions.
- Tonga: Reorganized from three island councils into five divisions.
- Trinidad and Tobago: Reorganized from eight counties into eleven regions.
- United Kingdom: I attempted a list of the current divisions, including unitary authorities.
- Vanuatu: Reorganized from eleven provinces into six.
- Vietnam: I provided details of the 1997 reorganization.